- Use some appropriate humor as an added flare.
- Talk about education, tolerance, or change.
- Be analytical and talk about the big picture.
- Read other essays written by previous students. Use them to see how creative other applicants were.
- Add something to your application rather than repeating things you have told them elsewhere.
- Show the three magic words: Passion, Authenticity, and Initiative.
- Make the essay another resume or a brag sheet.
- Talk about when you were very depressed or self-destructive.
- Read other essays to copy them!
- Discuss a time when you were dishonest.
- Use your essay to complain about people or circumstances.
- Depend on clichés to add style to your essay. (They do the exact opposite!)
- Write a sob story with no point other than to make it a sob story.
- Go beyond the word limit of 650. (The application won’t let you anyways.)