The first step in writing your college essay is to sit down and reflect on your entire life. That was a pretty big task I just gave you, but this step is critical to writing a stellar college essay. The college essay should be about the reasoning behind your actions and achievements, not a list of said actions and achievements. Show the admissions committee that you made thoughtful decisions based on your passion.
Still no topic? Here are a few techniques to help you get going. These are just meant to get you thinking and not necessarily give you the exact topic to write about.
- Your favorite place to think
- A mindset changing event
- A life long philosophy you’ve adopted
- Your favorite book
- The most influential person and activity in your life
- Make a timeline of the last four years- highlighting possible essay topics
- It’s also a good idea to look at essays that other schools you are not applying to ask their applicants to write. You might find one that you have the perfect answer to!